Due to COVID-19 it is extremely likely that the events previously scheduled and displayed below have been canceled or postponed. Please check with the event host or venue directly to confirm the event until this notice is removed.
- This event has passed.
Executive Bourbon Steward Training
October 2, 2017 @8:30 am-5:30 pm$500
Louisville’s Stave & Thief Society is bringing their Bourbon training class to Chicago!
Learn from the instructors responsible for educating members of the Kentucky Distillers Association during the full day training course.
Stave & Thief Society was founded in 2014, and is the first bourbon certification program recognized by the bourbon industry and the only to be recognized by the Kentucky Distillers Association as its “Official Bourbon Education Course.” The programs were developed by professional distilling and spirits educators and advised by a panel of experts in the bourbon and hospitality industries to provide a premium, standardized bourbon education that is accessible and holds real value.
Intensively Fun Classroom Learning
Spend a day at our hands-on learning center and have the time of your life as you attain a real working knowledge of bourbon and bourbon production. This day-long workshop offers classroom training, hands-on distilling, and advanced sensory training, along with lunch and a sip or 4 of bourbon throughout the day. Come on your own or give a gift to the bourbon enthusiast in your life.
To provide a standardized bourbon education, along with the tools and techniques to further participants’ study and understanding of bourbon; to strengthen participants’ skills in guiding their staff in various aspects of Bourbon Stewardship and customer relations; to provide training and materials which will allow participants to develop and expand in-house bourbon programs, and build bourbon lists to grow sales.
- Bourbon 101 covers the basic history of whiskey in the United States, leading to the evolution of bourbon. From there the course will detail the technical aspects of whiskey classifications, the science of distilling and aging, and types and brands of bourbon.
- Distilling & Aging 101 is a hands on walkthrough of the bourbon-making process where each class will actually distill bourbon. This section not only goes over the process for the managers but how to explain the different steps to consumers and how each step affects the overall product.
- Advanced Bourbon Sensory Training breaks down and examines the array of aroma and flavor components of bourbon and how specific decisions during the production process determine those attributes.
- Flight Building dives into how to conduct a sensory evaluation of bourbon and how to walk staff and consumer alike through the process. Assessing the customer efficiently “on the run” and making recommendations according to cues are also covered here.
- Kentucky Bourbon Trail Proficiency covers the distilleries and brands on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail (KBT) experience. Students will build familiarity with the products and locations of attractions in order to advise guests and answer questions.
- Learn the standards of identity for whiskey and for bourbon and be able to identify the differences between the two distillates.
- Explain the basic science of the distillation process.
- Define and explain the different bourbon classifications and Bottled in Bond, and be able to identify bourbons belonging to each class.
- Identify Kentucky’s heritage brands and which distilleries produce them.
- Identify basic differences in proof, age and mash bill in a blind sensory evaluation.
- Build a flight of 3 bourbons, demonstrate the relationship among the products, and describe their characteristics and nuances.
- Understand the distillation and aging aspects of bourbon.
- Be able to use hands-on knowledge of bourbon production to train and answer advanced questions from consumers.
- Be able to perform advanced sensory of bourbon and be able to walk their staff and consumers through how to conduct bourbon tastings.
- Be able to facilitate Certified Bourbon Stewards’ training.
Seating is limited. Reserve your seat today, click here!